Saturday 30 August 2008

On gender relations

Here at King's Academy boys are never allowed in girls' dorms and girls are never allowed in boys' dorms. This goes along with the major school rule that states that "sexual intimacy is inappropriate and will be grounds for disciplinary action". This policy not only applies to students, however. Nobody- whether a teacher, sibling, or even parent- is allowed in the dorm of the opposite gender. The one exception is on moving and closing days.
Today for instance, a mother was helping her son move into my hallway. I introduced myself and offered my hand to both the mother and son. The son shook my hand and told me his name. The mother on the other hand pulled her hands toward her and awkwardly, but nicely, said, "Sorry, I can't". Apparently I had already forgotten the religious rules on gender relations, which forbid any physical contact between men and women outside of wedlock or family. I'll be sure to remember that cultural faux pas.

No comments: