Sunday 31 August 2008

On My Role Here So Far

Since I've been here, I have not encountered one real challenge. On one day, when I was clearly stressing over all the orientation stuff I had missed, my program director, Ms. R, told me that I needed to relax and that the faculty and staff at King's Academy just have to go with the flow sometimes. At that point, I thought that the pace would start to quicken once I had my internship assignment and the students had arrived. Then, about a week ago, Ms. R asked me if I would like to work in the library. I said yes, and my first day of work is tomorrow. However, I still don't know when my Arabic classes will start, and my hallway proctors are doing a fantastic job being friendly, welcoming, and approachable. So at this point it seems that I am free to do as much or as little as I would like. The staff in general seem to be content with whatever initiatives I choose to take or not take. I think this is because the faculty remember the gap year students last year as always taking the initiative to occupy themselves and help the school. So at this point I'm just going to wait to see if my library duties and my Arabic lesions give me enough of a routine that I'll feel that I have a real place here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you're blogging about your time in Jordan. The entries so far are fascinating--the cultural divides you're bumping up against, and the oddness of starting traditions. Do you still think Mary Atwater must have a hidden story?