Wednesday 15 October 2008

Cobbler and Egg Sandwiches

Well, a group of two or three students ended up single handedly finishing the cobbler I had made on the weekend (minus the piece I had taken to encourage others to try it). Although the idea was to share the cobbler with everybody, I guess I should be content since I still consider it a failure. As for my egg sandwiches, however, today I made Panini pressed, pita bread, egg and cheese sandwiches for eight different students on my hallway, all of whom gave me good reviews. It ended up being a good thing that I didn’t cook bacon on the side. It just would have been too hectic and too messy. And by not cooking bacon I definitely avoided any sort of awkward cultural moments (although the majority of the students on my hallway are Muslim, there are some non-Muslims).I’m now hoping that these positive reviews will inspire other students on my hallway to ask me for more sandwiches and other breakfast foods. If this happens, however, I’m going to have to ask them to start paying their share of the cost of ingredients. But at least I accomplished my two goals, the first being to actively and publicly display my appreciation for my hallway’s great behavior and the second being to show the students that we do in fact have working stove tops that we can in fact use to cook. I also fulfilled a contractual obligation because resident faculty members are required, though not enforced, to provide some snack or meal for their hallway now and then. I’m now thinking of buying falafel sandwiches for my hallway on Monday night. But this time the student life office will definitely reimburse me because I will be buying food for everybody on my hallway…including me :)

No comments: