Monday 13 October 2008

My Weekend (Saturday)

For Saturday, as I wrote before, I had just two tasks. The first was to chaperon a shopping trip to a mega store, where I would buy necessary supplies and ingredients, and the second was to bake a cobbler in the kitchen of a faculty member. Unfortunately, the shopping trip was only and an hour and a half long and so I was not able to find everything I needed. Even more unfortunate, was my idiotic idea to substitute active dry yeast for baking power in my cobbler recipe. The cobbler tasted fine in the end…it just didn’t rise. At one point I was so embarrassed over the mess that I had created that I was thinking of throwing it all away. Luckily, I decided let the dish sit in the faculty member’s fridge overnight because I was able to serve it the next day (Sunday) as a sort of optional desert to the mini pizzas that I had ordered from the dining hall for my hallway. I had the idea at some point during the late afternoon on Sunday and so I took the cobbler from the faculty fridge and put in the common room fridge right before dinner sot that nobody would go looking for it. But when I picked up the mini pizzas ( they looked terrible so I’m definitely ordering falafel sandwiches from town next time) I learned from the faculty member who was covering for me during the last 10 minutes of study hall that some students had already eaten half of one my cobblers and, even more remarkable, said they liked it. With the boost of confidence that this gave me I spend the next 15 minutes presenting and marketing my “weird looking fried dough”, as I was then calling it;. I ate about two and half servings to show people that it wasn’t deadly and I even resorted to describing it as “tasty as it is weird looking.” Although I got two or three students to finish the second half of one my cobblers, I couldn’t get anyone to touch the second one. When it came time for the students to return to their own rooms I resigned myself to put the remaining cobbler into the fridge and stick a note on the front door asking people to feel free to try it. I haven’t been back in the dorm since this morning but I’m pretty sure it’s still there seeing as how school is still in session. If nobody has touched it by 10:30 tonight I’m going to have to accept defeat and throw it away

No comments: