Saturday 20 September 2008

On Charity and Ramadan

It seems to me that Ramadan is a time when many Muslims in Jordan become especially devout and adhere more closely to certain Islamic doctrines, almost in the same way some protestant Christians become more devout during Christmas, Lent, and Easter. Two examples of Jordanian Muslims seeming to be more devout during Ramadan are my observations on alcohol and alms giving. While the Quran technically forbids any consumption of alcohol, I think; there are still plenty of Jordanian Muslims who drink during the year. Not during Ramadan, however: So many Jordanian Muslims use Ramadan to observe this rule of Islam that most stores and cafes won't even serve alcohol during the evenings to non-Muslims. The other example of Jordanian Muslims becoming more devout during Ramadan is the act of giving alms. While one of the pillars of Islam requires Muslims to give alms to the poor, it doesn't clearly specify when alms should be given or how much. Since Ramadan began, however, I've noticed donation boxes almost everywhere I've gone. The boxes are the King Hussein Cancer Foundation, and I've seen these boxes, usually half about 1/3 full with coins and bills, at the end of check out lines, at cash registers, and even around school. As I said before, these boxes are surprisingly full considering there were only put out about three weeks ago. But during Ramadan Muslims don't just give money for alms: they also give food. The food is for the holiday of visiting family and feasting at the end of Ramadan. The holiday is called Eid Al Fitr (Eeeed AL Fiter) and lasts for about five days after Ramadan. Now, I have heard that Muslims give food to poor during the final days of Ramadan so that everyone can enjoy a after-Ramadan feast. It is this act, along with fasting, that is supposed to help all Muslims think of the poor what it is like to be poor and live hand to mouth. There is supposedly a special Eid Al Fitr prayer service and congregation but I haven't yet experienced this myself. All I know is that the Muslims I have seen in Jordan are giving money and food to the poor during Ramadan, as well as telling me that fasting is partly about thinking about the poor and being able to sympathize with them.

No comments: