Tuesday 16 September 2008

On my new "internship"

So far I really don't like the term "internship". The reason I don't like the term is that the term can mean absolutely anything and is used as a title for too wide a range of work positions. For example, there are medical and law interns who assist real doctors and lawyers with their daily tasks. But then there are museum interns who could be doing anything from assembling welcome brochures to cataloguing art collections. And then of course there's me, who until last week was a library intern but who now is an intern in the college advising office. In two weeks I've gone from labeling the first season of Gilligan's island for the library to doing research and compiling information for the college advising office. How can anyone have a clear idea of what an intern is supposed to be with so many people labeling so many different job descriptions with this term? This all being said, I think I'll talk about my new internship with the college advising office. Even though the school doesn't have a graduating senior class, there are still plenty of juniors (and sometimes even sophomores) who are looking to make sure that there doing everything they need to in order to gain admission to their preferred schools. Often times I have to make two or three trips to the office because so many students need to talk with Ms. Hala (my boss) about college-related matters. But Ms. Hala assures me, however, that, while she has plenty of work to keep me busy, there is still plenty of time prepare for next year. My work for the past week and a half has just been to the admission requirements of schools in the UK and in Canada, specifically how these schools AP's, SAT's, and an American style diploma awarded in a country besides the US. After I'm finished with this, however, Ms. Hala says that I might be able to assist her in compiling academic transcripts of students who spend their freshman year at another secondary school. Overall, the work is busy work but it's also work that’s helping an office that didn't exist last year to establish itself. I therefore feel that I'm involved in a something that's really helping the school.

No comments: